Photo from diegosalcido.
Update: Fast Completed
(I will be writing periodically to document the Quarterlife Fast/Daniel Fast and how things are going in advance of its’ culmination on Good Friday. Enjoy!)
IT IS FINISHED! Kidding.
But seriously. We’ve made it. 21 days of intense sacrifice and searching for great spiritual growth. It moved by quickly.
- The fast was not what I expected. My expectation was that the fast would have me constantly in the presence of God, 24/7. Having never done this before, I was surprised to note that after the first two or three days my relative hunger vanished. From that point onward I wasn’t constantly petitioning God based on my hunger, but I did notice that my spiritual hunger increased regardless. Although the Daniel Fast had become normal, I still noticed that increasing desire for God and to be in His word. So in a way, I received my desired result but without the journey I thought should take me there. Funny how God works sometimes.
- This random note… Besides drinking nothing but water for 21 days, my urine has been yellow throughout. Normally (and without getting too detailed), I find that the more water I drink, the clearer it is. Would this be some kind of extended detox?
- Total weight lost: approximately 15 lbs. On day 13, I stepped on a scale inside the Publix in Palm Beach and found myself at 166 pounds. Full disclosure: I don’t typically weigh myself, so I am not sure where I started, but it was somewhere in the 180-185 pound range. In two weeks, I dropped roughly 15 pounds. Pretty nuts… and that’s with average-to-minimal physical exertion (I haven’t worked out in nine days). Also, I haven’t had a chance to weigh myself since day 13, so I will be sure to do that and report back when I post an article about…
- Doing a modified version of the Daniel Fast immediately. Overall, I feel great. I will now definitely explore the feasibility of cutting out most dairy, limiting red meat to once every week or two, and continuing to feast on a diet of fruits and vegetables. Purely from a dietary perspective, I’m not sure there’s any way I could ever go back to a fried food-centric diet. (Except for when the first Buffalo Wild Wings in the Palm Beaches opens later this year. Oops.) Seriously though, look for a dietary post based off of the Daniel Fast within the next week.
- I absolutely intend on… going to BurgerFi in Delray Beach tonight to celebrate. I am expecting that I will, a) love it completely, and b) projectile vomit. Tonight should be fun!
You guys are prayer warriors. I love you, all. It’s awesome knowing that we all have support within the Quarterlife community from those who read, interact, and pray. I want to thank everyone that said they would join me in this journey, and if you didn’t, consider doing a fast yourself. I have a couple friends who will start a 10-day fresh squeezed juice fast next week… all you need to do is to target your fast and ask God for help. It’s that simple.
[box_success]Thanks for reading! If you need prayer, let us know. If you just finished your fast, or are starting a new one, we want to know how that’s going. Expect another fast next year, too, and maybe even another 10-day fast thrown in there too. We want to run after the cross and experience God for everything he’s got.[/box_success]